Does your Doctor use Electronic Medical Records Software(EMR)?
And should you care?
The answer is an absolute yes. There are a number of benefits to you, your doctor and society when a high quality EMR’s is used. Some of these benefits are:
- Your doctor can track and plot your progress.
- The doctor can find information faster and therefore is able to more accurately diagnose your ailments.
- With e-Prescribing (which is part of all quality EMR’s), not only will you not have to wait at the pharmacy as long, there is a much smaller chance of misprescribed medications and misread dosages.
For your Doctor:
- Typically a physician is able to increase his patient volume by 10-20% while improving quality and satisfaction.
- Elimination of the cost of the paper charts, staffing cost to pull and file them and the real estate needed to house them.
- The elimination of the cost of transcription which ranges from $500 to $2000 per month.
For Society at Large:
(In order to be truly effective, the majority of medical practices will need to run a high quality EMR, and these EMR’s will need to be able to connect to a health information exchange (HIE))
- Reductions in the huge cost of medical errors
- Reduction in redundant medical tests between specialties that a patient may see during the course of care.
- Better coordination of care between different specialties.
In summary, encouraging your physician to move to an EMR will benefit everyone.